Castries, Saint Lucia: The small island nation of Saint Lucia has bagged victory in the Caribbean Champion of Champions Boxing Tournament. Stan Bishop, Public Relations Officer at Saint Lucia Olympic Committee and Public Relations Officer at St Lucia Boxing Association, has recently shared an appreciation post for the Saint Lucian team.
The sporting event was organised for two days, i.e. April 21 and April 22, 2023.
Stan Bishop mentioned, “Team Saint Lucia emerged overall winners in the Caribbean Champion of Champions Boxing Tournament held on Friday and Saturday evenings at the Vigie Multi-Purpose Sports Complex.”
Further, while mentioning the top five teams of the tournament, he also shared the medal count. He noted:
• Saint Lucia fought their way to win five (5) gold, nine (9) silver, and two (2) bronze medals.
• Guyana finished second with six (6) gold and three (3) silver medals.
• Guadeloupe finished in third place with three (3) gold, three (3) silver, and two (2) bronze medals.
• Trinidad and Tobago placed fourth with three (3) gold and one (1) bronze medal.
• Barbados placed fifth with one (1) gold and two (2) bronze medals.
“The tournament, which consisted mostly of boxers in the development programmes in the five (5) territories, also featured some elite boxers. For example, Saint Lucia’s Elite Boxers Arthur Langelier and Kyghan Mortley both won gold medals. Mortley also won the Best Boxer of the Tournament Award,” he mentioned.
Bishop also stated that the St Lucia Boxing Association takes this opportunity to thank all the boxers, coaches, and other support staff from all the participating delegations, sponsors, fans, parents, volunteers, and everyone else who played a part in making the tournament a success.
The public relation officer, while concluding the post, said, “The youth need our support, and we will continue to provide opportunities for them to become champions and better citizens.”