Gang leader ready to eliminate Haitian Prime Minister

The leader of Haiti's dominant G9 gang - Jimmy "Barbecue" Cherizier, warned that he is ready to eliminate the Prime Minister of the Caribbean island at the cost of his blood while demanding his immediate resignation.

The leader of Haiti’s dominant G9 gang – Jimmy “Barbecue” Cherizier, warned that he is ready to eliminate the Prime Minister of the Caribbean island at the cost of his blood while demanding his immediate resignation.

While asking for Prime Ministers’ resignation, the gang leader noted that “Above all, because Prime Minister Ariel Henry is suspected of participating in the odious & vile assassination of President Jovenel Moise on July 7”.

He added that once the Prime Minister is out of the way, then the key to the nation will be given to a new class of men and women of civil society. Cherizier was a long-time collaborator with the ruling PHTK party who was close to Moise, called Haiti a nation that had been “abandoned to its fate”.

“The country does not have a prime minister; the president was assassinated. The nation has no leader. That is why we, as patriots, struggle to rectify the situation,” he cited.

He added that the fight is not against the Prime Minister but is against the 5 per cent of the Haitian population who holds the wealth of the rest, 95 per cent. “It is a battle against the system, against the corrupt oligarchs”, the gang leader noted.

Following the statement, he asserted, “It is members of the economic and political elite who distribute guns “in working-class neighbourhoods to advance their personal interests. To control the system. Today, we chose to take them (the guns), use them against those who gave them to us in order to liberate the country“.

The G9 gang blocked the access of fuel depots in the Port-au-Prince harbour, which resulted in fuel shortage and put at risk hundreds of lives.

Kidnappings and gang violence is at its peak in the Caribbean’s most impoverished island, which is currently also battling with hunger crisis, poverty, COVID-19, and political instability.