During the session of the House of representatives of Antigua and Barbuda, Prime Minister Gaston Browne stated that no conclusive evidence has been found regarding the Indian fugitive Mehul Choksi’s alleged abduction from Jolly Harbour on May 23, 2021.
He made the declarations while answering the questions raised by Jamale Pringle – the leader of the opposition and member of parliament from All Saints East & St. Luke.
PM Gaston Browne answering the questions of Jamale Pringle said that neither he himself nor the attorney general and Minister responsible for foreign affairs had any conversation with any regional law enforcement agency and Scotland Yard regarding the alleged abduction of Mehul Choksi, who has also been a citizen of Antigua and Barbuda.
In the House, PM Browne stated that he has not been aware of any evidence whether the Scotland Yard or the regional law enforcement might get that Mehul Choksi has been taken to Dominica by involuntary means.
PM Gaston Browne said that the police department of Antigua and Barbuda has been investigating the mysterious journey of Mehul Choksi, which started from Antigua and Barbuda and ended up in Dominica. He also highlighted that it was Royal Antiguan Barbuda Police Force that issued the “Yellow Notice” to Interpol in the first instance to locate Fugitive Choksi when he went missing.
Furthermore, Prime Minister stated that Caribbean countries have been struggling in the areas of security of their borders, including Antigua and Barbuda that has no well-equipped force that would be capable of safeguarding the porous borders of the country.
PM Gaston Browne said that it had been well known that they have porous borders throughout the Caribbean region because of many different beaches and other keys. He said they do not have excess resources, including manpower, and that is the particular area where they have been working upon.