Haiti requested for foreign troops from the United States and United Nations
The UN Security Council would have to approve any plan to send international troops to Haiti under UN auspices
10th of July 2021
Haiti requested for deployment of foreign troops in their country for the protection of their country after the assassination of Haiti’s President Jovenel Moise.
The request for the troops was sent to the UN as well as the USA, but in reply, the government said that they are not ready to deploy their forces in Haiti. Haitian police earlier told a group of 28 foreign mercenaries killed the president on Wednesday.
Police informed that the assailants were killed after a gun battle in the capital Port-au-Prince, 17 of them were detained. Some of the group that Haiti police informed included retired Colombian soldiers were held at the house they have been using, others after entering Taiwan’s diplomatic compound. 3 suspects were killed by Haiti’s police, and eight others have been still being sought.
On Friday said that they have been sending FBI and Department of Homeland Security officials to Haiti to help in the investigation. But they have denied to send their troops to Haiti. The UN Security Council would have to approve any plan to send international troops to Haiti under UN auspices.
The killing of the President of Haiti had triggered some civil unrest in Haiti. The poorest nation in the Americas. A state of emergency remains in force over the country, and that has been unclear who has been in effective charge of the country’s government.
The constitution says the National Assembly should choose another president. But disputes were that elections scheduled for October 2019 did not occur, and Mr Moïse had been ruling by more than his tenure amid widespread protests.
Amendments to the constitution not accepted by everyone suggest the prime minister should be the next one to take over.
But Haiti has both an interim prime minister, Claude Joseph, and a new appointee, Ariel Henry, who has yet to be sworn in. Both are claiming to be in charge.
On Friday, a group of political parties signed a resolution proclaiming a new president – Joseph Lambert – with Mr Henry acting as his PM.
The situation is doing little to resolve the political and economic instability that has long troubled the nation.
Latest
- St Vincent and the Grenadines to host Logos Hope Book Fair in December
-
Belize City Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony Sponsored by Coca-Cola Kicks Off Holiday Season -
PM Roosevelt Skerrit reviews major road, housing and school upgrades in Southern Dominica -
BBC Travel names Dominica as "Best Caribbean Holiday Destination" for 2025 -
Polling Survey 2025: Massive victory projected for Saint Lucia Labour Party, UWP trailing behind
Related Articles
28th of November 2025
27th of November 2025