Basseterre, St Kitts and Nevis: Prime Minister of the Federation – Dr Terrance Drew, invited the general public of St Kitts and Nevis to attend the Church Service. The government has announced Church Service as the Atlantic Hurricane Season 2023 started on June 1, 2023.
The Prime Minister shared a flyer which invited the public on June 1, 2023 (Thursday) at 5 pm. The service will be held at Seventh Day Adventist Church at Molineux Extension, St Kitts.
The flyer read, “A service to pray for the protection of the Federation of St Kitts and Nevis and the Caribbean. On Thursday, June 1, 2023, at 5 pm.”
In St Kitts and Nevis (generally the Caribbean region), the Hurricane Season runs from June 1, 2023, to November 30, 2023. During this time, governments ask the general public to be safe and follow all the possible measures and precautions.
It is expected that tropical storms and hurricanes can strike the nation during this period of six months, but such activities occur before and after these days also. However, the peak of the Atlantic Hurricane Season is expected to fall on September 10, and most tropical cyclone activity occurs between mid-August and mid-October.
As the hurricane season commences, some basic precautions are shared for the safety and security of the public. A few of the safety measures include:
• Listen to the weather forecast by local radios and news stations for the latest information.
• Prepare a family emergency plan.
• If one lives or work in the flood zone or a flooding-prone area, be ready to evacuate
• Gather adequate supplies as power outrage is common in a flood zone, and if one uses electricity to get well water, they should fill a bathtub with water.
• Keeping the car gas tank full is also one of the major assistance during the hurricane season as power outrage affects gas stations too.