Castries, Saint Lucia: The Cabinet has approved the barrel concessions for the Christmas Season of 2023. Conclusion No. 818 of 2023, dated October 9, 2023, has given consent to barrels in accordance with terms and conditions.
Barrels imported during the period of November 1, 2023 – February 28, 2024, are not liable for the Health and Citizen Security Levy and Value Added Tax (VAT).
The following are the conditions,
- The number of barrels that would meet the requirements for the concession would be restricted to two per household.
- A 100 per cent waiver of Customs duties on personal items such as clothing, food, toys and other household comestibles consisting of barrels which will be imported during the given limited period.
- Electronic items are comprehensively excluded from the concessions.
- The customary fines, penalties, etc, would be applied if the goods are used for commercial purposes.
- There would be an upper limit of $3000 per barrel on the value of items which are permitted for the concessions.
- It should be noted that the items which are identified in Clause No. 1 must be for personal use only and should not be used for commercial purposes.
- Packages or Barrels should not be opened or unpacked in the absence of the Customs Officers.
Notably, the Cabinet further gave approval to the transmission of the relevant legal instruments to Parliament to announce barrels imported during the period of November 1, 2023 – Feb 28, 2024, are supposed to be not subjected to the Value Added Tax and Health and Citizen Security Levy.
However, it should be noted that the items that are being entitled to this concession will attract a Customs Service charge, which is fixed to the rate of six per cent (6%).
Barrel concessions are approved as the Government of Saint Lucia Delivered another promise for the well-being of its people as Saint Lucians can enjoy the duty-free barrels.
The initial objective of this concession was to assist the “Needy and Underprivileged” families during the season of Christmas.
PM Philip J Pierre stated his views during the 2020-barrel concession program that the world is facing many challenges; however, there is still the interest of many in their Diaspora, and the government is ready to assist the family members and friends in this way.