Antigua/Dominica: Lawyers of Mehul Choksi are still standing on the fact that their client was forcefully taken into Dominica by the joint operation conducted by Antiguan and Indian authorities. Even though they have no proofs to justify their claims, they continue to push the kidnapping story and it is said that the story will be pursued in the court hearings by the lawyers.
It provided further spur to their claims after Choksi’s images with bruises went viral from Dominica lockup. Mehul Choksi had suddenly disappeared from Antigua and Barbuda on May 23, 2021, and after less than 48-hours, he was captured by Criminal Investigation Department (CID) in Canefield, Dominica.
Lawyers said that Choksi was on his way to have dinner with his alleged friend/business associate Babara Jarabica on Sunday evening; however, the meeting could not occur because he (Choksi) was kidnapped before he could arrive at the restaurant.
Following Choksi’s disappearance for 24-hours, staff members and other individuals from his Jolly Harbour residence went to file his missing report.
Furthermore, the alleged story revealed that Babara Jarabica and Mehul Choksi have known each other for more than a year, but it is not clear whether they shared any business-related or any other relationship.
Choksi’s lawyers maintain that he didn’t leave the country willingly and was abducted and tortured. Recently, some photos of Choksi had also been released by his lawyers, showing bruises on his body, the small injuries, “However does not prove that he was kidnapped,” said officials.
Besides this, Choksi’s lawyers also suspect that the Antiguan and Indian agencies worked together so that Choksi could be taken back to India, where he is wanted in a $2 billion fraud case.
Mehul Choksi – who has been declared fugitive by the Indian government in a $2 billion fraud, has been residing in Antigua and Barbuda since 2017. He had obtained citizenship under the economic citizenship programme and had been fighting his extradition case to India.