Guyana: The Health Ministry has shared tips for the older population during the increasing COVID-19 cases.
As per the ministry, the shared tips will help the older population strengthen the immune system.
The ministry asked the population to follow these tips for an active lifestyle and to strengthen the immune system.
Get or Stay Active and Strong, states the health ministry.
- Some activities are better than none at all! Start with light activity and work your way up.
- Try not to sit for long periods. Stand up and move around throughout the day; doing chores counts.
- Set up a daily routine that allows at least 30 minutes for physical activities. This can include walking, cycling, playing sports, or other physical activities.
- Your healthcare provider can help you create or recommend a varied exercise routine to help you build your strength, endurance and flexibility.
- Check online workouts or connect virtually to work out with friends and family.
- Use your own body weight and the objects around you to work out.
Eat Well, Healthy and Tasty advised the health ministry.
- Take care of what and how much you eat.
- Eat foods rich in vitamins, like fruits and vegetables.
- Limit foods that are high in salt, fats and sugar.
- Limit juice, sodas and caffeinated drinks and drink water instead.
- Consult your healthcare provider about how much water you should drink per day.
- If you have to get or prepare food, ask about social programs in your community that can help you.
- Weigh yourself periodically and report large variations to your doctor.