The State of Emergency has been announced by the government of St Kitts and Nevis. It has been declared on Tuesday as the twin-island federation have been fighting with the increasing number of cases of COVID-19 pandemic.
According to the statements issued by the government, Governor-General S.W. Tapley Seaton issued the proclamation of declaring the state of emergency in the country.
The statement issued by the government also said that the state of emergency had been declared after the increasing number of active cases in the federation and country experiencing the new wave of the COVID-19. With the numbers increased to the figure of 244 with active cases till now of COVID-19 patients. 180 active cases and 64 cases have been recovered, fortunately, with 0 deaths. The state of emergency will remain in effect till July 6 2021.
The government said that they have engaged in a war with the COVID-19 pandemic that, if not stopped, may threaten the lives and livelihoods of its citizens would be affected badly.
All the citizens of the twin-island federation have been asked by the COVID-19 task force to obey the non-pharmaceuticals measures like wearing the mask and covering the nose and mouth, follow social distancing in the country special when in the public places and try to avoid the public events that can be a super spreader in future, use proper hygienic measures by cleaning hands properly and by this way the transmission of the virus will decrease and state of emergency would also help in breaking the transmission chain in the country.
The government of St Kitts and Nevis urged the citizens in the country, those who have not got their first jab of vaccine, to go and get the vaccination as it is the only hope left to fight against the COVID-19 pandemic. All people who are eligible for vaccination should get vaccinated by the AstraZeneca Oxford vaccine.