The new school term will start from September 20 in Barbados. The Government informed that the new term would be fully online. The Government stated this on Tuesday.
Education Minister Santia Bradshaw, while giving a statement in a video, said that they believe, and after discussions that morning with the different representatives of the trade union movement, as well as the PTA’s (Parent Teacher Associations), they believed that the time had now come for them as they approach the start of the September term to go fully online.
339 people are in isolation in Barbados, the report has been given by Barbados. Minister Bradshaw said that more than 100 people had been now in isolation. There are various isolation centres across the island, and if the COVID-19 cases increase in numbers, more school groups would be urged to help the Ministry of Health.
Education Minister Bradshaw said, “In order to be able to get ahead of this particular virus, there may be other sites in the coming weeks that may have to be used. Some of our schools may have to be used. It is not a measure of first resort, but the truth of the matter is that many of our schools have in fact been upgraded and the bathroom facilities and showers lend to being able to be considered as an adequate facility to be able to host persons who may be sick.”
Bradshaw stated that during the last few days, the Government had established the Blackman and Gollop (schools) into the isolation facility. He knew that some believe that they will not be using these schools, but the truth of the matter was that the facilities have been able to serve the Ministry of Health and Wellness well.
Education Minister Bradshaw stated, “In the past, we’ve been able to hand it back over to the school at the appropriate time, and I think the situation now warrants that we’re able to provide additional facilities for the Ministry of Health and Wellness.”