Premier Mark Brantley lauds continuous development in sports sector of Nevis
Premier Mark Brantley lauds continuous development in sports sector of Nevis || Picture Courtesy: Premier Mark Brantley Facebook

Basseterre, St Kitts and Nevis: Premier of Nevis Island Administration (NIA) and the leader of Concerned Citizens Movement (CCM) – Mark Brantley, has recently asked the opinion of the people of Nevis Island through his social media post.

Through the post, the Premier of Nevis point out that what are the thoughts of the Nevisians on the following information?

Further, he cited a sports event and stated, “The Charlestown Secondary School secured second place at the TDC InterHigh Meet held at the Kim Collins Stadium with a total of 58 medals, including 27 gold medals. Meanwhile, the smaller Gingerland Secondary School placed sixth with 18 medals, including four (4) gold medals. Of the 103 gold medals awarded at the championship, the two (2) Nevis schools captured 31 or 30.1% of the gold medals, while the remaining 69.9% went to the seven (7) St Kitts schools.”

Premier Mark Brantley lauds continuous development in sports sector of Nevis
Picture Courtesy: Premier Mark Brantley Facebook

In addition to this, he took the platform to laud the administration of Nevis, who planned to construct the field five years ago. According to the post by Brantley, this achievement is significant because, just five years ago, the Nevis Island Administration unveiled plans for the Mondo track facility construction at Long Point to provide athletes with a professional surface to train and compete on.

He also informed that despite opposition, the facility was opened in March 2018, and since then, Nevis schools have made remarkable strides in athletics. For example, the Charlestown Primary School won the Rams National Primary Schools Relay Championships, and the Charlestown Secondary School and Gingerland Secondary School together won 30.1% of the gold medals at the recent InterHigh Meet.

He added that interestingly, in 2018, Charlestown Secondary School won only 15 gold medals, and Gingerland Secondary School won just 1, whereas this year, they secured 27 and 4 gold medals, respectively.

While concluding the social media post, he asked that is this progress merely coincidental or if it was a tangible result of the Government’s investment in sports. What is your opinion on this matter?