During the briefing, on behalf of the Government of the Commonwealth of Dominica, the Minister of National Security and Home Affairs – Rayburn Blackmoore had announced the increase in the Minimum Wages of the citizens on Thursday So that they could get a better standard of living and earn sufficient income to fulfil their needs. The decision would come into effect from 1st September 2021.
Minister Rayburn Blackmoore highlighted that the Dominican government had given a specific undertaking to review the minimum wages for all the categories to benefit the helpless citizens of the nation.
Minister Rayburn further said that the last changes were made among the Minimum Wages list in the year of 2007, which resulted in the passing of an order that covered the specific number of the categories.
According to the statement, Minister Rayburn said that the Ministry had discussed with various stakeholders and led a market survey regarding the analysis of the increase in the minimum wage of the citizens.
The Minimum wages for the following categories have been increased –
– Agricultural workers and Labourers (From $4 per hour to $7.50 per hour).
– Daily paid workers and tourism workers. (From $4.50 per hour to $7.50 per hour).
– For Juveniles and Trainers (From $3.60 per hour to $ 5.67 per hour).
– Cashiers and Receptionists (From $5.50 per hour to $7. 25 per hour).
– Sales Persons (From $5.50 per hour to $7.25 per hour).
– Shop assistants (From $4.50 per hour to $6.75 per hour).
– Home assistance with a meal (From $125 per week to $200 per week).
– Home assistance without meals (From $143.75 to $250 per week).
– Living in Home Assistance (From $142.50 per week to $220 per week).
The Minister also informed that few categories had been included with the already existing types of workers covered by the 2008 order are-
-Cooks – $7.25 per hour.
– Bartenders – $7.24 per hour.
– Servers – $7.24 per hour.
– Room attendants – $7.24 per hour.
– Groundsmen – $7.24 per hour.
– Public area assistants – $7.24 per hour.
– Vehicle Drivers/Messengers – $7.50 per hour.
– Security Guards – $8 per hour.
– Other workers such as labourers and handymen in the construction industry – $7.50 per hour.