St Kitts and Nevis: Prime Minister of the twin-island federation of St Kitts and Nevis, Dr Terrance Drew, recounted the achievements of St Kitts Nevis Labour Party (SKNLP) since taking office. He addressed the general public during the 90th anniversary of the political party during the church service on Sunday, January 22, 2023. He also reiterates pledges taken by the alliance in the year 1932.
He outlined that his government, within the five months of the administration, has worked diligently and strategically to advance the residents and citizens of St Kitts and Nevis. The achievements by the leader were:
• The government has worked to provide financial assistance to children so that no child in the country has to die because of a lack of facilities.
• Successfully various businesses were opened in the country.
• More avenues were established by the administration for entrepreneurs and small businesses to receive loans.
• Tertiary education was made free in the twin-island federation.
• A budget was passed to make available more money to invest in sectors to start the economy and transform St Kitts and Nevis into a Sustainable Island State.
• University of the West Indies students was provided with the economic cost.
• Front-line workers, who sacrificed their lives during the COVID-19 pandemic, were provided with an honorarium.
• The first wave of the CBI COVID-19 Relief dividend payments was successfully paid out, which happened for the first time in the Americas.
• Persons who lost their jobs for not taking the vaccine received gratuitous payments.
• The construction work at the new Basseterre High School commenced.
• The healthcare system was revamped.
Along with this, the government also appointed a new Governor General, started a new housing revolution in St Kitts and Nevis, provided Universal Health Insurance was established, and the building of new climate-resilient and technology-smart JNF General Hospital was started. Prime Minister Drew also highlighted that the integrity of public life and anti-corruption laws were fully activated by the government, and the water issue was resolved.
Furthermore, significant and indelible investments were made to make energy more affordable and greener, Dr Drew stated during the address. He also said that minimum wages were revised, the interest on student loans was decreased, and jobs, as well as opportunities, were created to build generational wealth.
He also highlighted that St Kitts Nevis Labour Party (SKNLP) has always put people first; creating a stable economy and fostering a culture of transparency was not new. He highlighted:
• These pledges are embedded in our legacy.
• These pledges are what shape the philosophy of this movement.
• These pledges were made 90 years ago.
• These pledges will forever be a part of who we are as Labour people.