Kingston, Jamaica: Students and Teachers returned to face-to-face classes in Jamaica on Monday. Prime Minister Andrew Holness wished good luck to the Students and Teachers as they headed back to school, asking them to remain safe and follow the guidelines.
PM Holness cited in his Facebook post, “Today, all across Jamaica, our public school students and teachers returned to face-to-face classes. We wish them all the best as we navigate this endemic phase of the pandemic“.
“I encourage all stakeholders in our education sector to continue to strictly observe the COVID-19 protocols outlined under the Disaster Risk Management Act (DRMA)”.
The schools were closed on the island following the COVID19 pandemic. The government has advised the school authorities to ensure that the students and teachers are safe.
Two weeks back, Jamaica recorded its first-ever case of the Omicron variant. Even the cases of COVID are also increasing on the island.
In addition, the final year undergraduates and first-year graduate studies students from across several departments at the University of the West Indies -UWI, Mona, are eligible to apply for a scholarship opportunity to spend July 2022 at Corpus Christi College, University of Oxford, studying with the Kinder Institute’s MA summer school in Atlantic history. Further information about the summer school can be found at
Following is the eligible criteria for the scholarship –
1. Applicants must be Jamaican nationals who are either final year undergraduates or first-year graduate studies students of the UWI, Mona.
2. Applicants must be pursuing one of the following programmes of study: History, English, Literature, Linguistics, Political Science, Philosophy, or Economics.
3. Application packages must include:
- a) A cover letter of not more than 1 page (typed single-spaced) explaining how you are positioned to excel in this programme.
- b) An essay of around 1500-2000 words (typed double spaced) on the topic of how Jamaica has historically related or currently relates to the wider Atlantic world.
- c) A letter from Dean or Department Head certifies that the student is enrolled and attending classes at the time of applying.
- d) Official transcript with GPA.
- e) Birth certificate or passport.