On Friday, FIFA banned Yves Jean-Bart, the president of Haitian soccer federation from the football for life after the accusations of systematic sexual abuse of female players.
73-year-old Jean-Bart was guilty of having abusing his position and sexually harassing and abusing female players, including minors from 2014 to 2020 by the FIFA ethics committee.
Along with being banned for life from soccer, a fine of 1 million Swiss francs is also levied on him.
Jean-Bart denied the allegations publically.
No charges are filed against Jean-Bart by the local Haitian judicial system, and a judge declared last week that there is no evidence against him.
Before Haiti, Afghanistan had its long-time soccer leader expelled from football by FIFA after the leader faced accusations of sexual abuse.
However, a spokesman for Jean-Bart said that he would file an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
The spokesman said that the decision made by FIFA is a travesty of justice and a political move for avoiding further controversy and bad press after a series of high-profile scandals.
It is noteworthy that it is said that the abuse happened at the national training centre at Croix-des-Bouquets, Haiti and FIFA had helped to fund the centre, which is also known as “The Ranch.”
Human Rights Watch said that being the head of Haitian soccer since 2000, Jean-Bart had great power and high-level connections into the political and legal systems as well as the government.
The advocacy group urged Haitian state authorities to investigate the allegations and protect the players, as the players said that they were threatened and intimidated.
Three other Haitian federation officials were also suspended from work while FIFA investigators gather evidence, these are national centre girls’ supervisor Nela Joseph, assistant coach Yvette Félix and technical director Wilner Etienne.
FIFA said that these officials are accused of being accomplices, instigators or principals in the abuse.